Saturday, November 29, 2008

Ditch your USP (Unique Selling Proposition)?

My colleague Trish Lambert discusses the applicability of the USP (Unique Selling Proposition) to today's marketplace in her blog "Success in Sweatpants".

The main point I get from her article is that USPs have a limited shelf life (due to competition, changing marketplace, trends), and to be careful before basing one's whole marketing strategy on it.

In the comments to that post, an interesting point was made: do USPs really apply to service providers? (especially since most solos are service providers?). My comment was that for solopreneurs, the personal connection between myself and my prospect (or what Tim Sanders calls "likeability"), outweighs many of the other buying considerations.

Check out the post and add your comments there!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Davender,

YES! You are right on...I believe that service providers don't have to sweat and work to figure out what's unique about them--THEY are the uniqueness!!! In other words, each one of us has a unique personality, world view, interaction style--whether we are actually conscious of that uniqueness or not. I believe that getting conscious of the uniqueness--which happens when we define our ideal clients, our target market (who we are passionate about serving), and why we do what we do.

I am going to continue noodling on the notion of uniqueness, and whether it has marketing/business value to service professionals...I hope you and your readers come over and contribute your comments!

Trish

1:33 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home